Our Premium hosting upgrade is well and truly completed and everything has settled down now, so I thought this would be a good time to let you know about some of the additional free bundled services that now come with our Premium hosting.
A CDN speeds up user access to your website by serving your site’s images, files, videos, podcasts and other static resources from a server geographically close to your users. For example, a user in Los Angeles will download from a Los Angeles server, London from a London server, etc. Here's a map of our CDN server locations.
We’re bunding use of our Edgecast CDN account for Premium hosting clients with a support & maintenance agreement in place. If we haven’t put it into place for your website yet, we’ll be doing it shortly. Please let us know if you do NOT want this service put into place.
Using webfonts, websites can now use almost any font you like without having to create text as images. This means that the text can be dynamic and is fully search engine compliant and download speed is faster. If we created your website to use webfonts, we’ll bundle use of typekit.com and fonts.com fonts free of charge for up to 50,000 page impressions per month for as long as you continue to host with us.
This is relevant to you only if you use our server for email. This last weekend (Saturday 28/4/2012) we installed new comprehensive spam filtering and management and virus protection services that rival the systems that major corporation use and should see the number of spam and virus messages that make it to your inbox drop significantly. This replaces the SpamAssassin and Boxtrapper services you may have been using to date. Importantly, spam and virus emails are not deleted immediately – they are retained for 7 days so you can review them before they are deleted.
This is a comprehensive spam solution. It’s controlled from the SPAM ASSP icon in your control panel, under which you’ll find:
- A list of emails classified as spam by clicking the LOG links in the “SPAM Scoring” section
- A list of emails with no local address (ie. where the email address does not exist) by clicking the LOG links in the “No local addresses filter” section
- A list of emails with viruses attached by clicking the LOG links in the “Virus protection” section
- Detailed information available from the Help link
You can also review spam messages from the spambox mail folder, which is available if you view your email using webmail or use IMAP to download your messages. Don’t worry about this if you don’t understand it – you can review spam emails from cpanel as per the instructions above.
A few other features FYI:
- If you do receive a spam message, mark it as spam by forwarding the message to email@example.com. This will help build the spam database more quickly.
- If you see a mismarked email message in your spambox, simply forward that message to firstname.lastname@example.org to flag it as not spam.
- Receive a list of blocked emails by sending an email to email@example.com.
- Each email you send automatically whitelists that email address.
You would have noticed that daily reports are now being sent to you with information about the number of spam messages received. This is to remind you to check your spam for at least the first couple of weeks, using the instructions above, to ensure that no legitimate emails have been classified as spam. We’ll discontinue this email after a few weeks – I wouldn’t want to be accused of sending spam!
If you have any questions or you experience any issues, please contact us on 07 3879 1740 or log a job in our Client Portal.